Thursday, March 20, 2008

Superman Songs

(Old Rock Scholar post) I just saw Superman Returns and although I really did enjoy it, it was a little disappointing after the superb Batman Begins, X-Men, and Spider-Man movies and the standard set by the late Christopher Reeve (not counting Superman IV of course). To be fair Brandon Routh did a good job, there is great potential for a franchise, and it was kind of hard to concentrate with somebody's cell phone ringing (mine) and someone's kid screaming (mine). But it's not like this is Movie Scholar, do yourself a favor and check out FilmAffinity where you rate the movies you like and it gives you accurate recommendations based on the picks of your "Movie Soulmates". I have obsessively rated over 2000 movies there and will not watch anything unless my Soulmates recommend it. Anyway, back to the matter at hand - here is my top five favorite Superman songs. Only the most relevant lyrics are included, and the songs are listed in no particular order.

Here's a hit by an excellent band that should have had more.Big Head Todd And The Monsters"Resignation Superman"

He'll come flying out of this townA resignation supermanAnd today the bad guys win'Cause he turned his cape inNow, he saysAnd I'll turn my back on this worldYes, I'll turn my eyes from this worldOh well ... Yes, he's tired of fighting in this townAll the suffering and viceHe wants to fall in love Maybe settle in and live a lifeAnd he keeps an eye upon this townThe resignation supermanHe'll keep himself amusedWith the evening newsOh my ...

Forget Nickelback, these Canadian's rock.Our Lady Peace"Superman's Dead"

Alone I'm thinkingWhy is superman deadIs it in my headWe'll just laugh instead

Glad to see these guys back with the groovy new single "Nice Talking To Me".Spin Doctors"Jimmy Olson's Blues"

Well, I don't think I can handle thisA cloudy day in MetropolisI think I'll talk to my analystI got it so bad for this little journalistIt drives me up the wall and through the roofLois and Clark in a telephone boothI think I'm going out of my brainI got it so bad for little miss Lois LaneLois Lane please put me in your planYeah, Lois Lane you don't need no SupermanCome on downtown and stay with me tonightI got a pocket full of kryptoniteHe's leaping buildings in a single boundI'm reading Shakespeare at my place downtownCome on downtown and make love to meI'm Jimmy Olsen not a titan, you seeHe's faster than a bullet, stronger than a trainHe's the one who got lucky got his cape around miss Lois LaneI can't believe my dilemma is realI'm competing with the Man of Steel

A true Hip-Hop classic from the pioneers of Rap.Sugarhill Gang"Rapper's Delight"

I said by the way baby what's your nameSaid I go by the name of Lois LaneAnd you could be my boyfriend you surely canJust let me quit my boyfriend called SupermanI said he's a fairy I do supposeFlyin through the air in pantyhoseHe may be very sexy or even cuteBut he looks like a sucker in a blue and red suitI said you need a man who's got finesse And his whole name across his chest He may be able to fly all through the night But can he rock a party 'til the early light

This song was in heavy rotation during the summer of 2000, but it never got old.Three Doors Down"Kryptonite"

If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?If I am alive and well will you be there holding my hand?I'll keep you by my side with my superhuman mightKryptonite

- Uncle Mitch

No comments: