Thursday, March 20, 2008

R.I.P. Dani


(Old Rock Scholar Post) I've been a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers since their breakout album Mother's Milk, and I've really enjoyed the last two albums Californication and By The Way. It's great to see an old school alternative act age so gracefully. I have yet to experience the full two hours of Stadium Arcadium, but if the awesome "Dani California" is any indication of the rest of the album, I'm definitely ready to check it out. (***Update - Stadium Arcadium is AWESOME!!! - Tied with John Mayer's Continuum for my 2007 Album of the Year) After watching the new video on VH1 I saw an interview with Anthony Kiedis explaining that "Dani California" is just the last chapter in the story of a girl that started in "Californication" and continued in "By The Way." Anthony explains, "When this funky groove came up it struck me as a perfect place to actually tell a story. It sort of revealed itself to me that it's been the same character, just kind of developing. At first I didn't realize that I was writing about the same girl." She's been quit a muse, as all three of the songs that she is in are hits.As mentioned, Dani first appears in 1999's "Californication," but she is not referred to by name. I'll just quote the parts of the songs that directly tell the story of Dani.Marry me girl be my fairy to the world Be my very own constellation A teenage bride with a baby inside Getting high on information I'm glad she chose information to get high on.It's safe for the baby and should be the high of choice for all pregnant women. In 2002 "By The Way" finds Dani at a show, she must have left the little one with a babysitter. Standing in line To see the show tonight And there's a light on Heavy glow By the way I tried to say I'd be there... waiting for Dani the girl is singing songs to me Beneath the marquee... overload/of her soulFinally in 2006, the song "Dani California" finds our friend robbing banks, leading to her ultimate demise at the hands of North Dakota law enforcement. I really hope she left the kid at the sitter for this one! Again, I'll just quote the story of Dani.Gettin' born in the state of MississippiPoppa was a copper and her momma was a hippieIn Alabama she would swing a hammerPrice you gotta pay when you break the panoramaShe never knew that there was anything more than poorWhat in the world does your company take me for?Black bandana, sweet LouisianaRobbin' on a bank in the state of IndianaShe's a runner, rebel and a stunnerOn her merry way saying baby what you gonnaLookin' down the barrel of a hot metal .45Just another way to surviveShe's a lover, baby and a fighterShould've seen her coming when it got a little brighterWith a name like Dani CaliforniaDay was gonna come when I was gonna mourn yaA little loaded she was stealing another breathI love my baby to deathPush the fader, gifted animatorOne for the now and eleven for the laterNever made it, Up to MinnessotaNorth Dakota man was a gunnin' for the quotaDown in the badlands she was saving the best for lastit only hurts when I laughGone too fastCalifornia rest in peaceSimultaneous releaseCalifornia show your teethShe's my priestess, I'm your priestYeah, yeah


- Uncle Mitch

No comments: